For more information, contact us at email@example.com or give us a call at 347-505-3010
About High School to Art School
Are you a high school student looking for a way to build a killer portfolio that will get you into a great art college – with a scholarship? The High School to Art School program (HS2AS) is a free portfolio development program that provides qualified high school juniors and seniors with the art skills training, essay writing techniques, college application assistance and financial aid planning necessary to gain acceptance into competitive art colleges.
About the Summer Session
We are currently accepting applications for our Summer 2020 program. The Summer HS2AS Session is geared towards rising high school juniors and seniors interested in going to art school. An "art-making intensive," this program will prepare students to apply to art college, providing portfolio preparation and art skills training through:
- Observational Drawing and Concept Development: Build skills in foundational drawing and figure drawing with live models, and develop critical inquiry through critique.
- Visiting Artist Workshops: Experiment with a variety of media such as printmaking, collage-making, and painting.
- Field Trips: Attend field trips to museums, galleries, and cultural institutions across NYC.
- Career Information Day: Hear from working arts professionals in fields such as fine arts, graphic design, art publishing, and arts management.
- Student Exhibition: Participate in a culminating student exhibition displaying their work.
For more information, please visit queenscouncilarts.org/hs2as.
All rising high school juniors and seniors living in the Greater New York City Area area eligible for HS2AS. Please note that rising seniors (e.g. students who will be going into their senior year this summer) will be given preference. Students do not need to live in Queens! Any student within a commuting distance to our classroom space in Long Island City is encouraged to apply.
Program Dates & Details
- Dates and Times: The Summer Session will take place from July 6, 2020 - August 13, 2020. Classes meet on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 10am - 4pm.
- Location: Queens Council on the Arts, 5-11 47th Ave, Queens, NY 11101
- Free Program: This program is entirely free! If admitted, all students attend the program on a full scholarship. Art supplies, metrocards, field trip admission fees, and snacks are all provided.
- Attendance Policy: We have a strict attendance policy; students are allotted a maximum of two absences before they will be dismissed from the program.
- Nude Models: Please note that the HS2AS curriculum includes drawing sessions from live, nude models to develop students' observational drawing skills.
Mandatory Saturday, June 13th Interview
- Mandatory Interview: Should you be invited for an interview, you must attend the Saturday, June 13th date at Queens Council on the Arts (located at 5-11 47th Ave, Queens, NY 11101) to be considered for the program. Please note that this is a competitive program, and we are not able to offer all applicants interviews. If you cannot make the June 13th interview date, you can write to Program Manager Kelly Olshan to request a makeup interview.
Next Steps (What to Expect)
- Email Confirmation: One you’ve submitted your application, you will receive an email confirmation. *If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application did not go through.* In this case, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 855-467-8264 to troubleshoot.
- Interview Notification (via Email) Week of June 1: QCA will notify you as to the status of your application prior to the session’s interview dates the week of June 1 Please check your email! If you are accepted for an interview but we do not hear back from you by Monday, June 8th, we will offer your spot to another candidate.
- Interview on Saturday, June 13th: Should you be invited for an interview, interviews are mandatory for all prospective applicants. Students will meet with our teaching artists and program manager for a 15-minute portfolio review to discuss their interest in the program. Interviews will be held at Queens Council on the Arts, located at 5-11 47th Ave, Queens, NY 11101.
- Final Notification (via Email): Following your interview, you will receive a notification as to the final status of your application via email.
- Technical Questions: Technical issues with the online application form or questions about logging into submittable must be directed to email@example.com or 855-467-8264.
- Program Questions: Have questions about the program or your application? Email or call High School to Art School Program Manager Kelly Olshan at firstname.lastname@example.org or (347) 505-3016.